Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Frame It

I don't know of a better way to personalize your home or office than with photographs. Whether it's a school picture of the kids or a snapshot taken while on vacation, pictures take us back to those memorable times. Those special photos deserve an equally special frame. So this month I worked on a few.

I started by shopping at two local Goodwill stores where you can always find a bargain. I looked for frames that were in good shape and were wide and flat. I wasn't worried about the finish or even the color as these are two things that can be either fixed or covered up.

This is the first frame I did. It's a painted wooden frame that needed a little TLC. I started by sanding it and really liked the aged, weathered look so I decided to leave it that way. I made the tiles by rolling out sheets of specially blended polymer clay colors, stamping the designs and then cutting out various sized rectangles and squares. After the tiles were cured and cooled, I added a little acrylic paint, which was then wiped away, and placed the tiles around the sides, fitting them as best I could. To me that part was the most fun. Like putting together a puzzle!

collage frame
close up

This next one turned out really nice! Again, I followed the same steps as above. The only difference being I spray painted the frame solid black.

5 x 7 tabletop frame

close up


This one looks very masculine to me although I'm not sure why.....maybe it's just the colors: dark gray, brown and blue with a weathered wooden look.

5 x 7 frame with easel back and wall hangers
close up


This one was a special order for a new nursery. I think a black and white photograph of the new baby would look darling in this frame!




And finally I used up some of the left over tiles from these projects and made this little frame. A patch work, hodge-podge of colors.

2.5 x 3.5 easel back frame

Do you have a special picture looking for a perfect frame? Perhaps you could make one yourself! Or, if you don't have the time maybe one of these would be just what you need. They are for sale in my shop. Just follow the link at the top of the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Embossing Folders and Polymer Clay Buttons

I have been so busy with some big (well, big for me anyway) custom orders the past few weeks that I haven't had time to play. But all of...