Friday, July 20, 2012

The Fruit of My Labor

I just wanted to share with you what I think is really cool.  I don't know how many people do this. I only personally know of 2 others.  I grow pineapple!

It's really not hard at all.  I decided to give it a try a few years ago.  I bought a pineapple at the grocery store, cut off the green top , stuck it in a pot of dirt and kept it watered.  Before I knew it, it had taken root and started to grow!  I was so excited when it actually produced a pineapple!

It takes a plant 2 -3 years to mature before it will produce fruit.  And since it is a tropical plant, I have to bring them inside around November, before the first frost.  It takes two people to pick them up and then I have to rearrange the furniture to make room for them.  Yes, they are that large.  Then sometime in April they will be moved back outside.  This is the third pineapple my plants have produced and it is the sweetest I've ever eaten.  I can't wait for the next one, if only it didn't take so darn long!


February 2012, about 3 weeks after I first noticed it.





June 2012

Fresh picked July 15, 2012


A bowl of yummy deliciousness!


1 comment:

  1. That is really neat, I didn't know it took them that long to produce, that is like asparagus it takes it forever!

    ReplyDelete

Embossing Folders and Polymer Clay Buttons

I have been so busy with some big (well, big for me anyway) custom orders the past few weeks that I haven't had time to play. But all of...