Monday, July 23, 2012

No. 5 - Snake in the Grass

I've heard it said that the best way to get over a fear is to face that fear head on.  I don't think I'm so afraid of something that I am immobilized by it.  Take snakes for instance. I'm not terrified of them, but they aren't my favorite creatures.  I just don't care to be near them.  The thought of them slithering around makes me shudder.  So when Sarah from Star Jewels challenged me to make a set of beads that when strung together looked like a snake, well let's just say I was not overjoyed.  I thought, aaagh, really? A snake? But I faced this challenge head on.  I took a deep breath and told myself, okay, I can do this!  And once I made up my mind I dove right in. Patience is NOT my strongest virtue!

So here they are. The beads that I made to resemble a snake.  Now, did they turn out exactly like I had envisioned? No.  Are they perfect? Hardly. But was this challenge a failure? Not at all!!  I learned what works and what doesn't.  So now I know to take a different approach next time.  Did I say next time? Yeah, I think I'll make more similar to these.  I have to admit, even a cold blooded snake can inspire me. I mean, have you ever really noticed the beautiful patterns and colors of some.  So maybe it's true what they say, face you fears head on!  Something beautiful may emerge from the experience.









I would like to encourage you to take on a challenge. You just might surprise yourself with the outcome. And don't let the thought of failure scare you.  Just dive right in!  I would love to hear your thoughts or comments.



1 comment:

  1. Kathy this is a wonderful Blog Post, and so very true, I say you conquered your fear and created a beautiful product!

    ReplyDelete

Embossing Folders and Polymer Clay Buttons

I have been so busy with some big (well, big for me anyway) custom orders the past few weeks that I haven't had time to play. But all of...