Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things


The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies. And that is my favorite song from the movie. What about you? What are some of your favorite things? I bet you have a favorite book, a favorite color, or a favorite restaurant.  Sometimes there are so many choices that it is hard to pick just one favorite.  Well, over on Etsy, the Handmade Circle Team is celebrating Christmas in July and so I asked the members this question, "What is your favorite Christmas ornament?"  If someone had asked me this question, this would be my answer:

My favorite Christmas ornament is at least 60 years old and it is showing it's age.  It is not as shiny as it was when new but the memories that come to mind are all I see when I look at this little ornament. It was my favorite when I was a child and I always wanted to be the one that hung it on our tree.  It is a small clear glass bell shaped ornament with stripes of pink, white and gold glitter.  Well, it used to have glitter, but it has lost most of it's luster now.  This little bell is still in it's original box along with all the others that came with it.  It was once a part of my Mom's collection of Christmas decorations, bought at Woolworth's after she and my Dad got married. It was made by Shiny Bright.  Maybe you have heard of the company before, you may even have some in your own collection.   My Mom no longer decorates a Christmas tree and I am so glad to have some of these special ornaments of hers.

Now read what some of the other members shared with me.

Ashley from Brenny's Bibbies says, My favorite ornament is a little angel boy sitting on cloud holding a bird.  The ornament was purchased in memory of a child we lost due to miscarriage. The little boy has a sweet angelic face and is one of the ornaments you place a light in so his face absolutely glows. It brings comfort to us to have our lost baby remembered in such a way and I always make sure it's placed front and center of our tree.









Kate from Pieces of Home Mosaics told me this:  My favorite is all of the Christmas ornaments that my Mom left me.  She passed 8 years ago. And when I see her ornaments on my Tree..It puts a smile on my face.

Here is Holly's from Holly's Homemade Goodies.  When I was born forty years ago, my grandmother gave my mother a red-headed angle Christmas ornament to represent my first Christmas. The ornament is about 3 inches tall, dressed in white, gold wings and red painted plastic hair. The angel hung on my mother's tree every year until about twenty years ago when my mother gave the ornament to me.  The angel has hung front and center every year on my Christmas tree along side my boy's first Christmas ornaments.



Jayne from Twiggy and Opal says, My favorite ornament is one my mother gave me 20+ years ago. Its a little mouse sitting upon a cherry pie! My tree ornaments and color themes may change over the years, but that little mouse is always front and center at the top of the tree!




It seems like handmade runs in Marsha's, from Bags By Hags, family. Here's her favorite: A little white handmade angel, my husband's grandmother made and attached it to my daughter's Christmas present when she was little.  The present? A Handmade doll that my daughter still has and calls it her Memaw doll.



Michelle from Monday's Child Primitives says, My favorite ornament is a gold ceramic angel that was given to me 43 years ago by my great-aunt for my first Christmas. She also gave my cousin that I've been close to the same ornament. Even after all these years we both always have our angels on our trees.



Sharon, from Artist Soul Designs told me, I love snowmen...I mean L-O-V-E them! Our whole tree is decorated with all the snowmen ornaments I've collected over the last ten years. My favorite is a ceramic snowman my son painted in pre-school. All the kids took a field trip to a paint your own pottery studio and painted stars to give to their families. My son refused and when his teacher asked why he didn't want to paint, he replied, "My mommy loves snowmen and that's what I have to paint. NOT a STAR!" Luckily, his teacher was understanding and let him do it "his" way. Lucky for me as well!



Shannon from A Moment in Paradise doesn't have just one.  I have a few. They are the ones my boys made when they were growing up. They are 29 and 19 now but every time I hang them back on the tree it takes me back to when they just little boys :)

Here's what Rhonda, from Tipsy Glows said. I LOVE my mother-in-law's PICKLES! LOL! She has 4 pickle ornaments that are a longtime family tradition. Basically, there's a pickle for each grandkid and they are hidden deep inside the the branches of their Christmas tree. Right after dinner and before any gifts are exchanged, each grandkid (ages ranging from 24 years down to 3) get to search for a pickle and once they find one, my mother-in-law (aka Grammy) has a special present ready and waiting for them. You would not believe the excitement and commotion that ensues when it's time to find the pickle! I'm surprised tree hasn't been tipped over yet! LOL! My 8 year old and 3 year old girls LOVE the pickle and yes, even my older nephew and niece now in their 20's still do!! 

Donna from AstraBella Sinsations says My favorite ornament is an elf who looks like he is repairing a light. He has a little wrench and you can attach him to a working string of lights. His jacket says North Pole Power and Light, I think. It is a Hallmark Keepsake ornament that came out in the 80's. I used to joke with my parents that he was going to disappear, because I like it so much. Finally found one on eBay and now I have my own!

Janet, from Creations by Janet, told me; I have an ornament that was given to me by my mom many years ago. She is 88 now & stopped decorating several years back, so as she was cleaning out her Christmas decorations I chose a large purple glass ornament. Some of the paint is coming off of it now but it is so precious to me that it is the first ornament I hang on my tree each year. Even the few years that I didn't have a tree, I hung that purple bulb on the clock that my dad made for me. He has since passed away. As you can see, this holiday tradition is very special to me.


Tricia from Jewels by Trish, says: I have an ornament that was handmade by my grandmother! It is a little bear wearing a top hat in red & he has a sequined vest on. He also has little googly eyes. It was always the first ornament I hung at her house when we decorated & when she passed away, the ornament was given to me. I still cherish it every year!!



And Sarah from Star Jewels said, My favorite is now the photo star ornament I had made for my baby girl's first Christmas (she'll be 2 in August). Love it so much I leave that ornament hanging on the mantle all year round! 



Here's what JoAnn, from I Sew Much Time, told me; We collect Christmas ornaments from places we travel to. One of my favorites is from St. Thomas - Santa resting in a hammock!


Jenni, from Hannah Mia collects ornaments from her travels too. She says; I don't think I have just one favorite ornament. Since my husband and I got married, we would buy them everywhere we traveled to together.  Every Christmas season, we get to look at them all again and remember all of the wonderful places we have been. 



This is what Marie from Marees Treasures said; Hard to pick just one ornament or even two ornaments since we, like so many other folks, collect ornaments when we travel and when putting them on the tree, memories come flowing through. There is a few, though, that my grandfather made of plaster, while in the nursing home and he was in his late 80's. These take front and center on our tree.

Margaret from Art for Comfort had a hard time picking just one. She says, I have been collecting mine since the 70's and have received so many ornament gifts over the years and also bring one home from almost every place we have visited. I guess I would have to say that the Baby's First Christmas rocking horse which was for my one and only daughter, and has been hanging on our trees for 23 years.



Bridgit from Grandma's Crochet Cottage said; My favorites are the handmade ornaments my daughters made when they were little. They aren't the prettiest, but they certainly have the most meaning!

And what did Karalee from iFrogCrafts say? I love ornaments! But i have to say that the most favorite one of mine is a little tiny nativity scene. I have had it as long as i can remember, but i'm not telling you how long that is.=) It's plastic & is about 1 1/2" tall & 1 " wide. We had 3 of them when i was growing up. It's amazing that it is still around, plus it still has some glitter on it. 






Lucinda of This Art of Mine answered my question. My favorite ornament is the one our son made in 1977 when he was in second grade. It's a red paper ball and has beads glued all over it. It hangs by the original black thread! Of all the things he's given me over the years, this is the most precious.





So you can see, everyone's favorite ornament is as unique as the individual themselves, but they all have one thing in common.  They bring fond memories of days gone by.  And if you would like to learn a little more about these members, just take a look inside their shops. Their personality shines through in all of the items they create. 

8 comments:

  1. What a great post, it's so great to learn about everyone through their traditions! You all sound like you have beautiful ornaments and rich family history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has a favorite ornament that is special...love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This an awesome post! I enjoyed reading about other favorite ornaments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching blog post, I loved reading about everyone's favorite ornament, there are some great stories here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! So fun to hear all the special stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so heartwarming! Many thanks for working so hard for all the HMC shops.

    ReplyDelete